Monastery Hilandar Mount Athos
The history of Hilandar monastery begins in the 10th century but, after
its ruin, the emperor Alexius III, in 1198 granted it to the Serbian rulers
Stefan Nemanja and his son Rastko, who became monks (Symeon and Sava respectively)
who proseeded to the construction of new buildings. During the 14th century,
Hilandar monastery reached its highest peak, accumulating riches and heirlooms
from imperial as well as private donations.
One of the largest and richest in heirlooms monasteries of the Holy Mountain,
Hilandar is the main spiritual center of the Serbs from the 12th century
onwards. Besides the central church (Katholicon), honoured in the memory
of the Presentation of the Virgin, there are many chapels, the refectory
and the aisles with the monks΄ cells as well as the other auxiliary buildings
(guest-house, library and others).
The present monastic community preserves close relations with the Serbian
people as well as the Greek population of the Holy Mountain and its neighbouring
Apart from the abundance of frescoes (St. George΄s Tower, Katholicon, old and
new Refectory etc), the monastery possesses one of the largest libraries of Slavonic
and Greek manuscripts, as well as a large number of portable icons dated in the
12th century onwards..