In May 1379, the “despot” (King) of Thessaloniki, loannis Palaeologos, was hosted at the tower and during his stay there granted it exemption from taxes.
The tower is known to have existed already in 1344, but appears to have been older than this.
In May 1379, the “despot” (King) of Thessaloniki, loannis Palaeologos, was hosted at the tower and during his stay there granted it exemption from taxes. It must have suffered considerable damage from the earthquake of 1585 and, probably, received extensive repairs. In August 1858 the tower is reported “empty and uninhabited inside” (presumably after being burned down during the devastation of Halkidiki in the revolution of 1821), but this same year saw the beginning of extensive repair and reconstruction works that gave it its present form.
Recently, the tower was consolidated and restored by the 10th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities. During the course of this project, the main historical phases of the building were identified as follows:
- The entire lower part of the stone structure, apart from the two upper storeys, belongs to the Byzantine tower. It may be assigned on the basis of its typology and construction to the few known examples of the 11th-12th century.
- The two upper storeys and another one (or at least a battlement level) now lost, date from the Ottoman Domination era, probably after the earthquake of 1585.
- The entire wooden interior of the tower, together with its present roof, belong to the 19th century repair mentioned above, which seems to have been completed in 1862.
Later, the external sloping buttress wall was added, probably after the earthquake of 1905. Nowdays, after the recent restoration works, the interior of the tower is preserved with the original constructions of the 19th century.
Against the eastern side of the tower rests the annex building of barbakas (barbican), the fortified enclosure, which seems to have been a side building of the early Ottoman domination era, with later repairs. Today’s residence and the storerooms inside barbakas were built in the middle of the 19th century.
To the north-west of the tower stands the building of arsanas (boat-house), built in 1865, along with the now lost jetty. It consists of a half-underground space for the keeping of the boat, the storage mezzanine and the residence of the upper level with its loggia.
The metochion estate owned many other buildings (storehouses, barns, an oil press, tenant lodgings (“kolligospita”), wells, etc), only two of which are preserved, about fifty meters to the south-west of the tower. The installations of the metochion were used for many years as lodgings for the new inhabitants, who built Ouranoupolis in 1923.
Nowdays, the tower estate belongs to the Greek Ministry of Culture.
Information: +30 23770 71389